Saturday, December 27, 2008

Hidden Treasures

Isn't christmas the most wonderful time of the year. I love it? I am still such a kid at heart, I get so excited. I make cookies, fudge, Haystacks, Trail mix. Course I make sure that my Kids(?) get some of all this, then I make it for my special kids at school, my grandkids and now my greatgrand kids. I really have to thank my mom, Grandma to some of you, great grandma to some of you and great great grandma to others. when I first got married I had not seen my mom for several years and we wanted to spend time with each other and did, When Christmas came I was pregnant with my first child feeling very lonely because I had grown up in Nebraska, that was where my home had been for twenty years.But when we went to visit Mom and Grandpa Ted. It was such a great time of the year and with the snow etc, I began to feel that maybe I wasn't so homesick as I thought I was. Mom had all these coffee cans, she and Ted were big coffee drinkers, always a pot on .Back then coffee came in decorative cans, 3lbs per can, Mom saved them. (she was not a pack rat only a collector) When she started to bake cookies she figured out how many people were in each family and filled the cans appropriately. Every year she looked for a new cookie recipe to try out and give us. But thru the years Haystacks have stayed my kids favorite. They are very simple and are fun for children to make too.
Now my grandkids love them and I have to make haystacks. In later years I got the trail mix recipe from my good friend and because they love that too, I always make sure they get some.

Then earlier this year I mentioned my grandma Hayward grew Turkeys. that started me on a quest to find a picture of them. Well, I now have 127 pictures scanned on to my computer from those old days and I must say some of them are very ,very old. I have a picture of my dad,Joe Hayward that has the date of 1927 and it is still good. So my project for the next year is to put those in a photo album for all to see. I am a pack rat so. When I turned 45 a few years ago, my oldest daughter put these pictures in albums for me. Now I want to share them. I hope all will view them and enjoy them.

Now on to more hidden treasures. I live alone, I like it. I have also thru the years managed to do minor repairs on things in my house or some on the cars. I always say that it is my midwestern upbringing. Maybe so , maybe it is the stubborness I inherited from my Mom and my Grandma Hayward. Anyway a few months a go I started smelling a strange smell in my water, mostly the hot . I kept trying to get hold of the water company and be putting on hold drives me crazy, leaving messages didn't seem to help. Tues, when I went by to get my check from Foster grandparents, I remember that the water company was neighbors to my office, I stopped in .The lady was more interested in sampling the festive goods then waiting on me but finally to rid herself of this annoying older woman she agreed to file a work request, for them to check the water. I was busy all day and left for Chowchilla to be with my daughter Patti and family for Christmas and did not check messages. When I got home Christmas day, I checked phone messages. water man had called left several messages. When I called him yesterday. He told me how to flush the water heater and then the rest of the lines. I knew I could do it cause all I had to do was hook the hose to the water heater open up the line drain until there was cold water and then go thru the process in reverse. then flush the house pipes. Sounded easy ,Right Right! except the turn off valve would not go back on, I am not able to turn off the outside water, should have done it before I took the hose off. That would have been too easy. couldn't get the hose on , had water gushing. So I ran outside praying that I could get the water turned off, this was my second try. Well it worked, but I was soaked ,my garage was flooded and I was almost beside myself. I rushed to the phone and called my friend Bob the father of my adopted great grandkids and said HELP. He came, put a new faucet because the old one had the threads stripped . Well, then I started working on drying out the garage. Crying a little in flustration,
luckily have most things in plastic out there. that is the important things like fabrics. Worked for a while, said I'll work again tomorrow when it warms up. Today it is drier and I am sweeping, when I ran the broom under the dryer, out popped the hidden treasure. I found 59 cents under there. Thus the hidden treasure. I laughed and laughed.

Haystacks

I use two packages large packages of Chow mein noodles

Two large serving spoons of peanut butter.

Two 11.5 oz packages of butterscotch chips

Melt chips and peanut butter in large pan over low heat

stir chow mein noodles until well coated drop by spoon fuls on waxed paper, let set up .

Enjoy!!!

Trail mix

M&M's

cashews

raisins

Amount depends on your personal needs or wants Mix together ENJOY

This recipe was given to me by a friend who was a diabetic also a kidney transplant patient. She assured me that it was very healthy.


Sorry this is so long. just had to tell you all MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR. I enjoy reading what you and your families are doing. Hope I don't bore you too much with the family history.

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

We used to make those haystacks when we were kids. Not too long ago, I was looking everywhere for that recipe. Thanks!

M and M said...

Sorry to hear about your water heater mishap :( Would love to see the pictures when you are finished scanning!

Thanks for the recipes :)

M and M said...

Wow, your plumbing experience sounds like quite the 'adventure!' Its always fun to look through old family photos and we really enjoyed the CD you sent. Amazing how much George and his son Steve look alike! Muriel