Wednesday, February 25, 2009

medals and memories

I hope you will bear with me while I wander down memory lane. When I saw Shea's blog about the boys and their surgery. I felt so bad for all of them. I remember when James, my youngest was five. He had been a sickly child all the time and he had Pneumonia. something we had been warned that could be very serious for him. The doctor decide it was time for him to have his tonsils out. Of course with a family the size of ours, five of our own and two nieces that needed a home there was always something going on. We were temporarily living in Ogden because we were in the process of moving to Fresno. Now two of my daughters also had problems with their tonsils ,as did one of my nieces. My doctor was already aware of these problems and said we should take them all in at once. Because I only wanted my kids to be well, I agreed. Never thinking about what that would involve. My mother in law, who was a little intimated by me and my kids said she would go to the hospital with me. Her son would go to work and the other three kids who were in school, they were in Junior High.
Well, the day came, I picked up grandma, with the four kids and we went to the hospital.St Benedicts in Ogden. They had a room with 4 beds and we were set.

It was a long day, but my best memory of all that was my dear sweet mother in law who helped all of the kids with ice, hugs, kisses what ever they needed. Finally around 6:00 pm , she said quietly. "would you mind if I went home? " She was in her sixties, had been up and going with us since 5:30 or 6:00 that morning. we were about to go home so I called her son and he came to take her home.Next day she came over on the bus and stayed with the kids while I took Tammie back to the hospital for a check up.

So when I said you deserve a medal, I really meant it because it is hard to deal with things like tonsils. Been there done that. glad the boys are well

2 comments:

M and M said...

Wow, what an ordeal! Can't imagine handling 4 sick ones at the same time!

Shea said...

Holy cow...I can't even imagine. You are truly amazing. I thought 2 was hard and here you had 4 kids going through the same thing! I sure hope it didn't take too long for all of them to start feeling better!