Saturday, August 9, 2008

HELLO,MY NAME IS JOANNE

Well, I decided maybe I need to introduce myself. I live in Sacramento,Ca. I have lived here since the 1980's. I was born and raised in Kearney, Ne. When I was 20 I married and moved to Ogden, Ut, we lived there for eight years and then moved to Brigham City. We lived there for about six years and then transferred to Fresno, Ca with IRS. I had five children, Three girls, Kathryn, Tamara,and Patricia. two sons Robert and James. My daughters and my son Robert all live in Fresno. My son James passed away in 1995.

Well, now that I have given you a little history about me. I will tell you about me and my life now.I retired from IRS after 23 years, I, then worked at a fabric store for a while, big mistake I love to sew and bought a lot of material . Then I went to work for a Bead Shop. That was fun because I got to make things ,used my imagination a lot. Then I went to work for the local cable company and retired about six years ago. I have been making quilts for quite awhile now and am still doing that . Love doing that because I can make things using my imagination and give them to friends, relatives and organizations who dispense them to the needy.

But my most rewarding Job is the one I have now. I am a Foster Grandparent. I work in a head start program at a local school. I started last Nov. one of the reason for starting was because I wanted to give something back , and my little adopted grandson was going to that preschool. By the end of the school year, I had several new friends and their parents who call me Grandma Jo.
This summer I worked in a different classroom, the children were either down syndrome children or autistic children. The first week I came home sure that I would not make it. I am a talker,hugger, cuddler. Most of the children did not respond. I made a vow that I would get them all to talk to me . So I appointed myself the person in charge of hand washing . While we washed
hands I sang little songs that I made up using the childrens names. Before long they talked to me
hugged me, let me touch them, hold their hands.
It was a real education for me and rewarding. I make little rice packs for kids to use on their bobo's, they are made with flannel, and I put them in the freezer so they are better than Ice packs because they are mouldable . The kids love them because they can hold them in their small hands.

No comments: