Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Quilts and Life

I would be nothing if I did not have my quilting to express myself in. I have been making quilts for many years,my first one was a Sunbonnet Sue Quilt. It served several purposes. One, I then had a quilt of my own, two I learned to bast in small stitches, three , I also learned to sew sraight lines on a sewing machine. I had recently joined a family in my grandparents neighborhood who had a spare room, a need for someone to help with garden, canning etc. Their son had a Overall Sam quilt. I had none of my own and this was a way for me to feel part of their family also.

I made quilts for my kids, grandkids, friends of mine,friends of my grandkids. Then I sold my house and moved to my current home . I meet the young lady next door. We became good friends(she is like a granddaughter to me). she decided to take a quilting class when she had her little boy, Shane. I couldn't keep my hands off the new things she learned in quilting. There are so many things that I had never had the time or money to explore. Thus started a very joyous
time in my life. I could use my imagination, my talent(?) for colors and make things that I would never had thought to do before. Of course about this time I was diagnosed with The Big C. I wasn't going to let it get me down. My friend, Cheryl and I have spent many hours working together on quilts, we have even made wall hangings. We, I say we. because it is a two person experiment have not yet learned to quilt on my quilting machine. I have done three , two were just plain fabric which I just practiced sewing in designs, my own mainly and writing different things on with the sewing machine. The third one I had pieced for Patti, my daughter. I enjoyed making that one but I had a hard time getting just the right design. She loves it and that is all that matters.

I, now have two adopted great grandsons. Shane and Hunter. I have a great granddaughter who is fifteen, her name is Eden, Her brother is eight, his name is Ion. My Great grandson Ethan will be eight in Sept. plus Tommy, Luci and Joshua.

Eden,Ion ,Ethan and I went to Fresno on the train in June.It was a lot of fun. I enjoy the kids.Sometimes I feel as if I am too old to be with them but when I am with these children I feel young again.

No comments: